official due date countdown: 6 days.
this afternoon, my boys packed up and drove off with our neighbors for a little camping excursion. i opted to stay home, for obvious reasons. (getting up off of the ground twice in the middle of the night to go searching for a camping restroom didn’t sound too appealing, though the time away in nature and time with good friends was hard to pass up!) some out-of-town friends who are my age but still single just stopped by to pick something up at our place before heading off to a concert together. as i waved goodbye to them, i thought how interesting it was that we were all planning to have ‘fun’ tonite, but my ‘fun’ was decidedly different and perhaps even not-so-fun to the ‘unmothered eye.’ here’s what i’ve already done and/or plan to do in my 24-hours to myself.
- go NOWHERE. leave only if i have to. stay put.
- clean up, start a load of laundry, do the dishes, and put all the toys away (i.e. declutter so my mind can relax!).
- make cinnamon rolls (i.e. bake for the heck of it).
- take a long bath. shave my legs (if i can reach them!). do my hair.
- walk up to a point in our neighborhood that overlooks the ocean and sit, ponder, pray.
- keep the house as quiet as possible (i.e. no annoying gadgets, noises, screams, or unnecessary cartoons playing in the background).
- watch a movie by myself. (my over-the-top-extrovert husband simply cannot fathom WHY this would be fun for me.)
- go to bed early.
- wake up early.
- sit in the early, quiet hours, knowing i have nothing to do, no one to wake, and no one to feed but myself.
- read something thoughtful or fun.
- ask God to speak to a few areas that have been troubling me.
- write. journal. pray.
- if i wasn’t pregnant and coffee didn’t sound gross at the moment, i’d probably drink a pot or two.
if you had 24 hours without your usual responsibilities, how would YOU spend it??